Board Members - 5 Year Term
Joseph G. Botchie, Committee Chair - (2022)
Joseph Cooper, Vice Chairman - (2022)
Virginia LaFond - (2020)
Kathryn Widmer Ressler - (2020)
Matthew Taylor - (2021)
Natasha Adler - (2021)
Township Building Inspector
The 4 Established Municipal Historic Districts:
Shepherdstown Municipal Historic District
The Shepherdstown Municipal Historic District consists of approximately fifteen (15) properties located on either side of Old Gettysburg Pike, approximately 900 feet northeast of the intersection with Fisher Road to a point approximately 300 feet northeast of the intersection with South York Street, and the properties on both sides of South York Street from the intersection with Gettysburg Pike to a point approximately 300 feet northwest thereof. This district includes the largest number of historically and/or architecturally significant structures, many of which predate 1858 and several of which were built circa 1820. Once a crossroad settlement, the district includes several half-timber structures as well as later Victorian houses.
Rosegarden Mill Municipal Historic District
The Rosegarden Mill Municipal Historic District extends to Gettysburg Pike to the west, the Yellow Breeches Creek to the south, U.S. Route 15 to the east, and to the north by a line approximately 1,200 feet from the Yellow Breeches Creek. The district features the Rosegarden Mill (ca 1740 and enlarged prior to 1798) as well as the Miller’s House along Gettysburg Pike. The Rosegarden Mill was the first mill in Upper Allen Township. The Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission retains possession of the original mill stone case.
Trout Run Municipal Historic District
The Trout Run Municipal Historic District includes four (4) properties with several additional outbuildings – including a corn crib-wagon shed, on either side of West Lisburn Road west of the intersection with Stumpstown Road and surrounding Trout Run and the springs. The dwellings and corn crib-wagon shed date back to ca 1773-75 and ca 1821-22.
Yellow Breeches Municipal Historic District
The Yellow Breeches (sometimes referred to as McCormick Road) Municipal Historic District consists of approximately ten (10) properties located on either side of McCormick Road from the Nauman Bridge to McCormick’s Mill, an area along the east side of Arcona Road from the intersection with McCormick Road to a point approximately 500 feet north thereof, and an area along the west side of Arcona Road from the intersection with McCormick Road to a point approximately 800 feet north thereof. This district includes: several residential structures built ca 1780 and ca 1841, one stone arch bridge known as Nauman’s Bridge built in the early 19th century, and Glen Allen Mill was built circa 1835.
HARB is an advisory Board. Its members review exterior structural changes and signage on properties located within a Municipal Historic District. HARB reports its findings and recommendations to the Board of Commissioners regarding the advisability of issuing a Certificate of Appropriateness.
Unless otherwise noted, meetings are held the third Tuesday of the month at 7:00 p.m. at the Upper Allen Township Municipal Building, located at 100 Gettysburg Pike, Mechanicsburg, PA. Meeting Minutes will be posted online after approval by the board at the next regularly scheduled meeting.
HARB applications are due three (3) weeks prior to the next available HARB meeting date.